Pages

Monday 24 January 2022

The few experiences I’ve had that could possibly have a paranormal origin - A Series

 Part 1: Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire, England


Tutbury Castle - the sole surviving buildings

When I look back at the length of time I’ve spent researching the paranormal, I can only recall three, perhaps four occasions, outside of my research with Laura, where I’ve been witness to something which left me thinking perhaps......., events that even to this very day, I am at a loss to explain rationally.

Whilst none of the events in themselves could be described as particularly earth shattering, they have left a significant mark on me at a personal level. In the general scheme of things, I think perhaps now is the time to share the experiences, possibly in case any others have experienced similar phenomena in their lives at some time and wish to have the opportunity to discuss them, or simply just to record part of my paranormal journey to date.

A word of warning, the events are not in a chronological order, nor a decreasing level of importance to me. In reality, my chosen order of disclosure is probably a reflection of how easy I was able to decipher my personal notes more than anything else.

The first event I shall share occurred in the early hours of a cold winter’s morning, in the Undercroft at Tutbury Castle, which is located near Burton on Trent.


The Tutbury Castle Incident
All the way back in January 2006 I was contacted and asked if I would like to help out at a paranormal event that had been organised at short notice, at Tutbury Castle.

I usually steer clear of these sort of things, as I’ve written many times before. However, as it was a call for assistance from a friend, I felt that I really couldn’t decline the invitation, although I could really do without the likely eight hour round drive it would entail.

After detour for a rendezvous with the organisers near Chesterfield, we drove back south and found ourselves eventually arriving at the Castle.


Background
The event progressed through the evening and into the early hours, without incident. My only real lasting impression being of how little of the indoor areas of the Castle actually remained, contrary to how it was usually presented in the television shows in which it featured. 

As prearranged, at around 3 am, everyone packed up their equipment and gathered at the muster point in the entrance hall for refreshments, with many wisely taking the opportunity to take a nap.

I welcomed the opportunity to grab a hot cup of coffee, as I was, by now feeling the effects cold and, with my cameras having already given up the ghost.

With only a few people remaining awake, I poured myself another coffee and thought about the long drive home, when the peace was disturbed by the caretaker (of the Castle), who had accompanied us throughout the evening to ensure that we got up to no mischief, unexpectedly shouted out an invitation, to those still awake, to accompany him to the Undercroft and attempt a ‘calling out’ session. 

This raised a few eyebrows amongst us, as we’d earlier been informed (and it had been made very clear to us) that we could NOT have access to this area, not in this lifetime anyway.

The Incident
And so, it came to pass that the few hardy souls amongst us who were still conscious, found ourselves, braving the cold icy early morning air, locked away, huddled together in the even colder Undercroft.

Looking around, I did a head count and quickly calculated there was probably only ten of us, plus the caretaker, from the total group of attendees, who were present in the Undercroft.

After a short time spent acclimatising to the dim lighting provided by a couple of barely concealed torch beams, questions were asked out aloud, in no particular pattern and the claimed ‘sensitives’ amongst the group started, or so we were assertively informed, picking up information and, even being ‘touched’.

As proceedings progressed, a gentleman volunteered to stand on the spot where one of the spirits that was said to haunt the Undercroft, was allegedly ‘standing’.

The gentleman concerned was a mature chap, who I judged to be in his mid-fifties and didn’t seem the type to stand for any nonsense, which I presumed was why he put himself forward for the task in the first place.

He later confessed to me that he had no real interest in proceedings and was only present that evening to accompany his wife, a keen paranormal enthusiast.

Now by luck or by fate, the choice is yours, the spot where the ‘spirit’ was said to be standing just happened to be immediately in front of where I was sitting - on a bench, against the outside wall, about 15 feet to the right of the entrance door, as you entered the Undercroft.

As you can imagine, even in the dim light, this afforded me a great view of proceedings, with the gentleman stood about three feet away, my head directly level with his chest.

The gentleman was instructed to stand perfectly by the Caretaker and, soon one of the sensitives in the group asked the 'spirit' to touch him (the man).

Tobacco Tin - other brands are available

Almost immediately there was a loud clicking in response, which I can best describe as being very similar to when a tobacco, or sweet tin lid is flexed back and forth, as people of a certain age will probably remember very well.

This noise, as far as I could tell, came from the left breast pocket of the thick flannel shirt that the gentleman was wearing, which was his side nearest to me.

The gentleman himself had his hands clasped behind his back for the entire time the clicking was occurring, in full plain view.

The clicks continued for a couple of minutes, to order, in response to the questions now being asked, although there was no apparent pattern to the clicks that I could discern.

For further clarification, there was nothing at all contained in the gentleman’s breast pocket, which was flat against his chest. I particularly made a point of noting this, as by this stage of proceedings I was absolutely certain that the noise was originating from the area of his chest pocket, on his shirt.

After a couple of minutes the gentleman was, by this time, becoming visibly distressed, which was perhaps understandable in the circumstances, so the session was brought to a swift conclusion which, in turn, finally brought the whole event to a conclusion.


Aftermath
Whilst most of the group started to file out of the Undercroft, back to the muster point, the gentleman remained in situ, talking to his wife who had now crossed the room to join him.

Likewise, I remained behind, with the intention of discussing the incident with the man, to establish his perspective of events. 

When I suitable moment arose, I took the opportunity to ask the gentleman if the noise was originating from his breast pocket, as I had assumed, or elsewhere.

Without hesitation he confirmed that this was indeed correct, the noise had came from his breast pocket, which was clearly empty of any contents. 

I then asked if he had physically felt anything during his experience, which he confirmed this was indeed the case, going onto describe that he had felt a strong tapping on his chest, in time with the clicking and confirmed the physical tapping and the clicking were related and, was the same event.

The whole incident was captured in full, on camcorder, albeit from the gentleman’s rear and observed or heard by all present in the Undercroft and, from my perspective, right in front of my own eyes.

Unfortunately, although I was aware of who possessed the video, I was never able to secure a copy, in spite of promises, although I was informed that, having being shot from behind the gentleman, the video only recorded the clicking sound and nothing else of interest.

In the cold light of day, I have on many occasions tried to reason out what I had witnessed, although I will not bore everyone with my deliberations here.

Still, to this day, I haven’t a clue as to the cause of the phenomena, nor do I have any rational explanation for it.

Ever since, I've sought out and diligently read any reports of ghost hunts or investigations I could find, that have taken place at Tutbury, but, to this day, I've yet to read about any similar phenomena being witnessed.

Some seven years later, I was encouraged by a respected member of the paranormal community to contact Lesley Phillips, who has been the curator at Tutbury Castle since 2000, to discuss my experience and establish if any similar reports had been received by Leslie or her team directly.

I received a very quick response from Lesley, who thanked me for reporting the event, but at the same time unfortunately advised that she wasn’t aware of any reports of similar phenomena being witnessed in the Undercroft, although she commented that this was the area which produced most reports from witnesses of paranormal phenomena, in her experience.


Mark. 


In the next article, I shall be discussing my possible sighting of a shadow man, in full daylight, in the hot summer sun.


3 comments:

Lance Reed said...

Hi both, Very good read, very detailed 👌 thanks for sharing take care Lance.

Paranormal Reason said...

Thank you Lance.

Daniel (King Charles) said...

This was a fantastic read.
Honest, subjective and great for anyone interested in the true search for ghosts/paranormal. Well done